Friday, February 19, 2010

What is your problem, Khan asks Bal Thackeray

19/02/2010

A defiant Shah Rukh Khan has again refused to bow down to Shiv Sena and says he fails to comprehend the logic behind the controversy. The Bollywood icon also said that he was hurt by questions that hovered around his Indian-ness.

Mumbai: Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan, who drew Shiv Sena's ire for supporting the inclusion of Pakistani cricketers in the IPL, says he does not understand the "logic" behind the controversy and would have apologised if they had a problem with his film 'My Name Is Khan'.
The 44-year-old superstar said what hurt him most was the fact that his "Indian-ness" was questioned again and again.
Khan said that he would have apologised to Shiv Sena if the content of his film, released on February 12, was found to be offensive but did not do so because he didn't understand the "logic" behind their anger.
"If they had a problem with my film, I would have apologised. I have done so earlier because I do not want to offend anyone with my films, my aim is to entertain. But this was about who I am as a person and my Indianness and I was hurt that I had to clarify it again and again," said Khan in an interaction with a TV channel.

The actor said that he has "great respect" for the Sena leaders but feels that politics and patriotism should not have been mixed with entertainment.
"They are much older than me and I have great respect for them. But I did not understand why was the film dragged in between. I am one of those who believe that entertainment and politics should not be mixed," he said.
"I did not understand why was my Indian-ness questioned. My father is a freedom fighter and I am proud of that," he added
Source: Agencies
K.Venugopal
#1
19 February 2010 15:11:13
SRK's request that patriotism should not be mixed with entertainment is not valid. There cannot be any entertainment that is anti-national. Shiv Sena at no time said there was anything unpatriotic about the film MNIK. Maybe they linked SRK's Pakistani comments about IPL rather unfairly. But Shiv Sena was well within its rights to protest against SRK's perceived soft corner for Pakistan at a time when Pakistan is hell-bent on causing trouble in India. When you support the enemy, you are certainly unpatriotic. But whether this applies to SRK is a moot question. I would like to think his Pakistani comments were rather philosophical but Shiv Sena saw it otherwise. Their democratic right.

http://news.in.msn.com/international/article.aspx?cp-documentid=3639569&page=0&ucid=298683#uc2Lst298683

No comments: